Thursday 1 April 2010

Changing my spots.

If you've been here before you will know that I am very fond of blue and green perhaps with a bit of orange, and in the last post I was trying to capture the colours of lichen and stone so murky greys were on the cards.

My second feltmaking session was to prepare patterns as 'randomly' as I could for future embroideries so I started with my favourite colours. Prefelts cut up and refelted onto a backgound.

Can you see the letter 'a' there on one of them? Perhaps this will become an 'illuminated' initial.


Then I got distracted.

My 'For the Girls' Cornishware mugs bore a striking resemblance to the colours in my big bag of new wool tops.
So a major production of plain felts in these colours just had to be made for my new brooches. Of course it all began with blues and greens again
and then I moved onto the pinks and lilacs .
I was saying in my last post how difficult it is to plan what you are going to want in your felt palette. It has to be made before you need it so its as well to have lotsof shades of felt and pre felts. So I now have my selection of new spring colours.
These little old plates that belonged to my Mother in Law and the freesias and tulips I bought for myself make up my 'Mood Board'.
I cut up some of the prefelts and re assembled and re felted them


so I've got some pastel patterns to stitch into later.

Although I love these sherbert-dolly mixture-jelly bean- blancmange clear colours, I'm kicking myself for not making some textured pieces with other fibres added, because I can't help but see them as shop bought 'craft' felt, which has its place, but to me is as bland as white wonderloaf.
I prefer my felt to be the 'rustic wholemeal'
Its drying and my legs are aching from standing up all day.

I can't wait to get stitching .


But I had to clean the house today.
You wouldn't recognise it.
We are having a visitor or three.
Shopping tomorrow, and decorating the Church after the Good Friday service so I can go to Bacup on Saturday Morning to see something very bizarre. It only happens on Easter Saturday. Its a few years since I was there.

Then back for the Saturday evening Easter Vigil, and cooking a big family lunch on Sunday.

Have a Happy and Peaceful Easter.

29 comments:

Karen said...

absolutely beautiful post. can i change my mind and have some pink?

jeanette, mistress of longears said...

Meltingly perfect color palette! Is it not possible to add more after you've felted?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Inspiriting colours! I love your MIL's plates..so springlike.
Happy Easter to you too.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such wonderful colours.
I adore ! those plates!

lilylovekin said...

No matter what you think about your felt the post was most lovely to look at and I enjoyed it very much. Happy Easter

A time to dance said...

As a big fan of greens and blues myself, I love the first pieces, but the second bathch sing of spring and I love them too, they look like a lovely liberty skirt I had twenty years ago wih tulips on it...yum...we are going to Skye today...will be in touch on my return...love H

silverpebble said...

Goodness I enjoyed this Eastery- coloured post - the process, the materials, the early stages of new projects and the likening to your felt as a kind of nosh.

I am intrigued by your Easter weekend traditions. I am off to find out more. Have a wonderful time over the next weekend. Say hello to the dusters. I have not met with mine for a while.

Annie said...

I love your felts and really cant wait to see the beautiful things you make with them.
Happy Easter.
A x

menopausalmusing said...

Oh Jackie, Jackie, Jackie...... what a beautiful post. Beautiful photos, beautiful felt, and how I envy you those little plates. Have a lovely (if busy) Easter.

Gretel said...

What a lovely rainbow to have hanging in your kitchen!

artymess said...

Those colours made my eyes water they are soooooo delicious what a brilliant post I so enjoyed reading and looking .....Lorna x

Rosie said...

These colours are such a feast for the eyes! I love blue and green too, but when you moved onto the pastels (which in theory I don't like) it was just wonderful.
Hope your Easter weekend is blessed and special.

WendyCarole said...

wonderful colours

Lyn said...

I love those chintz plates and flowers, what lovely colour combinations, you have a natural eye for colour JAckie.
I have never heard of the dancers in Bacup, my mother and father in law live not too far away either!
Happy Easter.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Whitney-Anne Baker said...

Oh deep joy to see such wonderful colours; it really is like a long cool drink of water to anyone creative!

Twiglet said...

Another stunning blog - your colours are so juicy! Will look forward to seeing what you make with it all.

Maggi said...

There is no way your felt looks like the shop-bought type. I really like your sources of inspiration for the colours.

Jan said...

These felts are so beautiful I really must make some myself. I can hardly wait to see what you will do with yours. I will have to throw a bit of red and orange in mine, but I truly love blue and green.

Anonymous said...

OMG....I love your MIL's china plates. The colors in this post just make me drool. What an awesome post.

Heather said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous felts Jackie - there is absolutely nothing remotely shop bought about them. I love those old plates too, they are so pretty. I can't wait to see what you make from all your truly beautiful felt - the colours are so uplifting. Have a lovely weekend.

Jacky said...

Full on weekend, but what fun the Bacup dancers look very entertaining.
Have a wonderful Easter.

jennyflowerblue said...

Those chintz plates are very covetable! We did some felt making today too and are all shattered- but what lovely colours! Happy happy Easter. xxx

Joei Rhode Island said...

Those are Yummy colors! And they look like perfect felt to me. And the plates are to die for!

Digitalgran said...

Wonderful post Jackie! You've done all the hard work, now the fun begins and I can't wait to see what you do with all that lovely felt.

Anonymous said...

Do you have an embellisher? Or even a needlefelting tool. You could experiment adding more fibres that way and refelt it even at this stage? Worth a try on a small piece maybe.

JP said...

what a busy person - making all that felt is hard work but they are lovely and so worth it

Wabbit said...

Oh Jackie, I just love those plates! Had you considered making white felt and then dyeing it to suit your project? But then, your palette is soooo beautiful. I just wish I could focus in and get ANYthing at all done. You really do lovely work.

Elizabeth said...

I do I ever wish that I could learn this prefelt process from you!!! I love your brooches so very much and your color mixtures. I can't find anywhere how to make the prefelts!! ANy tips?Big Spring Hugs to you!!!

justherdingcats said...

I love your blog and your beautiful felt colours and all the beautiful things you have made.

I am new to the blog world ( as you would know as you popped into my sight yesterday!!) so I am building up links but I will be adding you right now!!

The funny thing was I only logged on this morning to add a link to The Archers as about 2am i woke bolt up right and thought The Archers - my goodness one of the major events in my life that make me who I am and I've left them off the blog!! Then I found your kind words and looked at profile and ............you are an archers addict too! Well good morning and lovely to meet you!



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.