Wednesday 11 February 2009

Loose Ends

Here in Lancashire we didn't have a lot of snow.
There was no sledging or snowmen or people getting arrested for throwing snowballs.

(Aside: throwing a snowball is how my older son got his alias. He threw a snowball at his friend many years ago, but having inherited rotten aim from his Mother, it missed and hit a car. the irate driver jumped out and asked him his name. My son answered truthfully, and the chap misheard and thought he said Duncan. He asked him ''Duncan what?'' to which my son truthfully replied and the gentleman misheard again, and 'Duncan Friday' was born.)

On Monday though, I received a bit of snow from Wisconsin in the post.

A beautiful stained glass snowflake made by my dear blog friend, Chris from Shady grove studios. She was one of my first blog contacts and I didn't realise I was one of her first too.
How generous and kind some people are.
It has been made from almost clear glass with the subtlest of colour in the form of a few iridescent squares.


There are lovely panels of etched frosty glass too and when I hang it in the window in the newly decorated front room there are little rainbows all around the room.
Do you remember the scene in Pollyanna when she visited the grumpy old man with a chandelier? I loved that film when I was little but now I fear it might have been an 'Anne of Green Gables' rip off.
Maybe not.
(There's the clip here if you feel like watching it )
Anyway thank you so much Chris. I was having a deferred post-Christmas-blues day on Monday and you certainly dispelled them.


Yesterday was the felt group meeting, and I am very much the dunce of the group. We made jewellery and I had a moderate success (eventually) with a bangle round a milk bottle which I then brought home and needle felted a few extra bits into and added a couple of stitches. This is todays TEXTILE CONTENT as I haven't done anything for ages.



Ta daa! (Thats a fanfare)
It will just about go over my hand.
As I said, I haven't done anything but there's a lot going on in my head.
In fact its a mess.
Here's an allegory or metaphor..you decide.
This is why I haven't done anything. Just don't know which end to pick up first. As usual I am over committed and the one thing I wanted to do really well has been usurped by another thing I have to to do really well but in a hurry.
The Textile Group I belong to is having an exhibition in April on the theme of 'Structures.' I thought I would like to explore trees and bushes. I was going to draw, print, collage, photograph aspects of trees.
Well I've taken the photographs. This is the Larch, still in our garden, still not chopped down.
Below are some lovely bark pictures from trees on my walk.

The colours and textures are amazing.

But I fear I won't be able to work the theme through properly so I know I'll end up doing the usual and find some way of justifying it as being on the theme of 'Structures'.
Any ideas?
But now, inserted before that suddenly, I have an article to write and some work to do to accompany it before the beginning of March.
Then I am going to Marrakesh for 5 days. (WOOO! scared but excited!)
And I am committed to two craft events in May and June and a couple of other half- commitments in between. And then it'll be Christmas!!!!!!!
I just want to make felt!
Hello to all the lovely visitors from Hobbyschneideren. I know you are all coming to look at my Machine Embroidery tutorial, because I have stat counter.
Such fun.
I just thought I'd leave you with a lesson in how to doze with absolutely nothing in your head to worry you except being nearer to me than the cat.


Bye for now.

26 comments:

hens teeth said...

Jackie ~ I have always said that in my next life I'm coming back as a dog, in a good home!

I hope you can get your commitments done soon and get on with what you really want to do.

Your gift from USA in stunning. x

Swirlyarts said...

It sounds like you are busy busy! I love that bracelet - it's gorgeous. And lovely colours too.

Kitty said...

That snowflake is one of the most beautiful things ever - I love it.

You sound busy. And stressed. And a bit down. Have a big (((hug))). A day at a time, and all that malarkey.

Take care. x

Julia said...

Your felty bangle is lovely!
Sorry I have no useful advice to offer about where to begin...I think what you need is - 5 days in Marrakesh!
BTW, if I could plan it I'd be a cat in my next lifetime :-)

arlee said...

Wondered where you were....i'll give you my pesky spare five minutes if you'll take me to Marrakesh....

Gina said...

Enjoyed reading about all your loose ends Jackie... but best of all I love the sleepy dog picture at the end. I've got one just like that in front of my fire now!

Julie said...

Jackie the next time the sun shines I think you should take some time out and watch the rainbows from your beautiful snowflake.

Marrakech sounds exciting but I would say scary too. You should get some wonderful inspiration.

Take a little time out for yourself and breathe deep.

Dot said...

Hi Jackie

I hope you get some time out soon.

Love the photo of your gorgeous doggie relaxing. And the snow flake from you friend is gorgeous.

Take good care

Dot xx

Dot said...

P.S Love your felty bangle too!

'fancypicnic' said...

So many things, so little time...

Lovely bangle...smashing (oops! no jinx intended) snowflake - so very beautiful.

And Marrakesh...is just around the corner!!!*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie
There never enough time in the day I know the feeling ,too much house work is my problem ,I cant start crafting until its all done .I know its ridiculous but head wont settle till its all clean first ,I then make a hell of a mess and I'm back to square one .LOL!!

I love your bangle its sooo beautiful .
And the snowflake is stunningly beautiful .

love form sesga x

ps how do you get a blog list like your new one ???

Linda said...

Nice to see traditonal craftwork alive and well.

You can see the "love and care" that has gone into it.

Victoria said...

The snowflake is really lovely and I think your felted bracelet looks great. I adore trees and bark has always held a fascination for me, so I do indeed hope that you will ponder exploring this more for a textile piece. (You can do it Jackie!!)
Your sleepy pooch is a smart cookie, it looks like a great way to spend a cold afternoon!

Gigibird said...

Now I would be the last person to be called organized or orderly, but I would LOVE to sort out that tangled mess of threads….

My dog snores

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

I love the bangle! And the snowflake...Oh My God!!!! Gorgeous! You lucky girl - I want one! And Marrakech for 5 days sounds very exciting!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Truly the perfect photograph of the perfect nap! And lucky you, that snowflake is divine. I loved Pollyanna when I was little. Being blonde and rather pale myself, I thought Hayley Mills was just the best!!

Lorie McCown said...

Good God, all the way Christmas already? Lady, I don't think so!! Hey there, you with the scrambled egg brain! I do like your visual metaphor, at least it is quite colorful and fun to look at :-) Marrakesh, huh? Now that sounds like a good time to c-h-i-l-l o-u-t

Heather said...

It's comforting to know that even though you make all those wonderful things, there are times when you don't know what to do next! The inside of my head is a bit like your tangled threads too. I have only three commitments coming up this Spring and am feeling a bit stretched. I find the best way to tackle too-much-to-do is to make a chronological list and work my way through it. I am very envious of your dog - he looks totally relaxed and obviously well loved. Your bangle is great by the way, and the stained glass snowflake is absolutely magical.

maggik1 said...

Hope I didn't take up too much of your time today? Wish I felt as chilled as Willow! I bought a skirt for Marrakesh in Matalan - thanks! Only plain blue linen ...

Chris Daly said...

Jackie, I love the photos you took of the snowflake. I will have to rethink my ETSY photos now. Thanks for the kind words. I so do wish you a wonderful trip to Marrakesh. I can only imagine the textiles you will find on your journey.

Wabbit said...

What a sweetheart Willow is! My boys vie to be the dog who is closest to me, too.

Your gift is gorgeous. What a lovely gift!

HUGS, Marilyn

Jude said...

I've always liked Chris's work, fancy owning a piece, lucky you!
Jumbled brains seem to be popular at the moment..... don't know my front from my back these days.Bracelet looks lovely, well done.
You'll love Marrakesh, just turn your ears off and keep your hand on your bag.I've been twice and want to go again!Everything is wonderful..... me! exagerate? Never!

ArtPropelled said...

Stunning snowflake!

It's a dogs life...ho hum.

julie king said...

what a delightful post! the snowflake is tunning and i just love that the dog tries to be closer to you than the cat. it made me smile!

silverpebble said...

That snowflake is really very lovely - I am going to investigate to see if she has an etsy shop. Your bangle is gorgeous too. What a smashing shot of that hound - oh to be unburdened like that. We don't really do much valentining either - the chilli choc hearts had to be snapped up this morning though.

Hope the muddly feeling subsides - I get it too - dreadful spaghetti.

Have a wonderful time in Marrakesh - ooh the tabbouleh and tasty kebabs!

Sandie said...

Hi Jackie, Just found your wonderful blog. Fantastic work. I live in Lancashire also and am a felter. Good luck with all of your forthcoming work.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.