Tuesday 1 December 2009

Advent

November has gone and you, my lovely friends, voted for me in the Dorset Cereals great little blog award.
Thank you.
I was top of the leader board for November so I think that means I will receive a package of goodies and the supposedly coveted egg cup..but so far no e-mail has arrived to ask my address......


My shingles have gone and I am feeling reasonably bright eyed and bushy tailed.
I am working, selling, and re-filling my ETSY shop as well as making work for a gallery or two.
I am sick sick sick of the poor light for photographs so I have resorted to using the scanner....


It works well to give a clear image but there is a bit of a squishy-squashy-against-the-glass-velvety thing going on.


I am hopping mad about missing out on a local Craft fair which I did last year and did very well at, I even provided my own table.

I filled in the questionnaire at the end, I evaluated the experience, I said yes, I would definitely be interested next year, I continually checked out the website, I joined their mailing list, I asked several times if it was going to be repeated but was told nothing.
I was asked by several people who bought from me last year if I would be going again and could only say I don't think its happening...when wham...yesterday, via Google alerts... I discover its on, its a done deal all the stalls have gone so its tough.
Did I say I was hopping mad?
I feel like Arlene Phillips must have felt when she was kicked into touch for a younger model.

But I can manage without them.

I have my lovely Etsy buyers who are doing a great job at the moment.

Yesterday the Central heating at my husbands workshop wasn't working. He stayed at home phoning plumbers who were all 'snowed under'.
Later that afternoon (after a very tiring day at the hospital with my neighbours) I saw that I had a few etsy sales so I quickly packaged the stuff and walked down the road to the Post Office.
On my way back, who should I see parked in a van chatting to a man outside 'The Cricketers' but a heating engineer. I accosted him and he agreed to go down to look at the situation.
So I ran home and told my husband (who was sitting having a cup of coffee and a read of the paper) quick get your coat on and meet a plumber at the Cricketers.

It was a stuck ballcock.
I'm sure you needed to know that.
But my point is...I have ETSY to thank for the solving of that problem.


I got my first Christmas card today.
Oh Dear....



I am editing this post after Sue's comment ..I DO sound like an old misery.
Not one of these things is really important....there are far bigger problems in life but its the trivia that its all right to grumble about!

30 comments:

Sue said...

Do you remember The Lion King? Do you remember the villain lion Scar (beautifully voiced by Jeremy Irons) sitting on his rock grumbling 'Life's Not Fair'...? Over time this has become a family saying and so I'm saying it for you now about the craft fair and the light and all those horrid little things that go to spoil a good November. Yes, let's hope December is better - beginning with the speedy delivery of a smart new eggcup! (And not too many Christmas cards until I'm a bit more sorted out - we too got our first today - how can people BE that organised???)

jennyflowerblue said...

Awwww that is poo about the fair, and you are allowed to grumble about whatever you like but you're so right it IS much more acceptable in polite company to complain about the weather than the big things. Like Sue best wishes for a happier December. xxx

Grangry said...

Jackie - it's your blog, you grumble if you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleur de Boheme said...

Sorry to hear you had the shingles - awful! Good though you´re fine again ;-)

The brooches are great!! And how annoying they let you down with the craft fair, really strange.

Bye Kirsten

Julie said...

Glad to hear the shingles have gone and fantastic you won the November Dorset Cereals award. And 'Yay' to Etsy :o)) Keep up the good work. (And yes, you can grumble anytime).

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

You have a good old grumble dear. Glad you got your ballcock fixed. Do hope you get your coveted egg cup. Are you knitting an egg cosy in anticipation?

Carolyn x

Jasmine said...

The scanner is a good idea. I'm finding that with all the clouds and lack of natural daylight all my photographed work is not giving justice to the pieces. Ho hum.
Lets hope you get on the craft fair next year :)

Gina said...

I'm all for a good grumble if it makes you feel better!

menopausalmusing said...

Grumble away, it was rotten re the craft fair and the light IS rotten. We all want to see that egg cup when it arrives, mind............:O)

Annie said...

Glad your shingles have gone. Congrats on the award. Really love all you make. You have such talent.
A x

WendyCarole said...

congrats on the award. Glad to hear the shingles have gone. John had after pain with his. Hope you don't succumb to that.
Shame about the missed fair.

Hope December is great

Lorie McCown said...

aw, never mind about the show, I skipped most of mine this year too. and grumble all you want, it's your blog! xox Lorie

JP said...

you always feel better if you let out your crossness rather thn stuffing it in your grudge bag!!! - mind you I bet you have areally pretty one!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

my house is so dark too! I never thought to scan my things! Yet again Jackie...you're brilliant! :O) I'm glad the shingles are gone...ouch. I hate them and do not miss them! and...Stupid show people! You are too good for them.

Maggi said...

Hope you get your email soon. What a pain about the local craft fair. Glad to hear that your shingles has cleared up.

Claudias rosige Zeiten said...

Hi Jackie,
I love your work! Every piece is so wonderful.....
I like felting, and the combination of felting and stitching-by hand or machine-this is one of my passions....
I am so happy, that i found your blog.....
Claudia

ArtPropelled said...

I'm so sorry you had the shingles. Not a nice thing to go through. Your work is looking as glorious as ever, squishy or not.

Twiglet said...

Have just oo-ed and ah-ed my way through your Etsy shop - gorgeous work! I hope you sell every last bit.

A time to dance said...

You have a good moan mate...I have officially become a grumpy old woman and I have been a misery guts of late....let it all out and move on...ballcocks to the craft fair....

Wendy said...

I chuckled about you accosting a plumber outside the cricketers, which I assumed was a pub? Disapointing to miss the craft fair, but at least you have got over the shingles in time for xmas.
I know we don't have to look far to find people worse off than us, but sometimes letting off a bit of steam puts life into perspective, and like the tv, if people don't like it, they can always jump to another blog. Hope December has you going to the PO often :)

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Like the scanned pics - congrats on Dorset Cereals success and commiserations on the missed craft fair opportunity, which must be very galling!! Glad to know that you're fighting fit once more. Best wishes. Lesley

Heather said...

Fingers crossed for your Dorset Cereal Goody Bag! They are lovely - I bought two lots on your recommendation. Our son-in-law had a similar experience to your Craft Fair one with our local radio station. He's had a slot with them for two or three years and suddenly found he couldn't get a slot this autumn in spite of sending in his application months ago. What is the matter with people? Hope the plumbers sorted things out for your husband and glad Etsy is still doing well for you. Love all the images on this post - I could just enjoy sitting and looking at them. Glad you are over the shingles and hope you miss out on the recurring pain bit. I only mention it so you don't worry if you continue to feel the pain on and off in the future. It happens to me when I'm tired or stressed and is not unusual apparently and far weaker than the original pain. Not everyone is affected by it.

silverpebble said...

Ooh I would be gnawing my own leg in frustration about that fair. No fair!

Humbug.

Grrr.

alice c said...

You can grumble all you want but I am just warning you that if you get any unhappier I am going to start signing my comments with lots of (((((hugs)))))

Christine said...

Shame about the fair,no doubt cock-up (on their part) rather than conspiracy, and it's their loss, tho' neither of those sentiments is much of a consolation. At least you will have your egg-cup - a well-deserved win (BTW do you like boiled eggs, or is it one for the trophy cabinet?)

Victoria said...

sorry about the fair, but congrats on the dorset cereal success and all the wonderful etsy sales! (and for finding a heating engineer!)

PS. the scanned images look very good, and the notebooks from the post below are lovely!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

As always, your work blows me away. Shingles?...yew...that's NOT fun, and I'm glad you're feeling better. As for the craft fair...their loss and you have every right to grumble! Glad to hear you won the coveted egg cup (and have to admit I'm totally curious to find out what it looks like!!).
btw...watch your mail in a couple of weeks because something is heading your way.

Chris Daly said...

What a great idea to scan. I am forever cursing the absence of reds in my fabrics. I hope things get sorted out soon for you. Wishing you a bit of sunshine.

Ann Christy said...

Glad to hear you are over the shingles now Jackie. Hope you continue to improve. The brooches look lovely!

Jacky said...

You poor thing having shingles...soooo painful. I am glad you are feeling better.
I wouldnt be happy about missing that fair either, especially when you had contacted them etc. Hopefully next year the organisers will be a bit better organised and will follow up with previous stall holders and ....grumble over, I hope you sell heaps in your etsy shop.
Loved your story about etsy and the plumber.
Happy December to you.

Jacky xox



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.