Thursday 19 December 2013

Really noticing..


...that oak leaves are beautifully different. Not symmetrical at all, all different shapes and sizes and colours. Makes me feel justified in calling these 'oaky'.


 I started to collect them from the woodland floor and amassed a huge collection for observation purposes. I got some funny looks..most people are collecting holly at this time of year.

 They are delightfully decorative and pleasing when arranged. 
Its a bit like playing with a button collection. I always drew them with the same number of ins and outs on either side, but now I know differently.
They had to be pressed between sheets of newspaper to preserve them for my plan. 
I put a bit of oil on my hands and its seems to have stopped them from fragmenting.

I got out the Markal sticks and rubbed some gold into some of them

I didn't gild all of these 'lilies' and added some quinces I pass every day on my walk . No-one owns them so I helped myself. I'd found a few teeny cones..birch? (I'm not sure.)


and some gloriously glossy green ivy leaves and and a few ivy flowers.


added a white organza ribbon. 
Et voila.
Is it christmassy enough?


The only problem with it is that the wind has been blowing it, and Hetty thinks its someone knocking on the door.


I've fallen in love with my hot glue gun all over again.

25 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Jacky, this is drop dead gorgeous - you won't want to take it down again. Happy Christmas

Sandies' Patch said...

This delightfully original and so lovely!
If you had the wreath indoors, you might get the 'pear drop' smell of the quinces.

Seasons greetings to you and yours xxx

Miriam Weaver said...

It really is lovely, so different. Happy Christmas Jackie.

Unknown said...

Oh it's lovely, I am feeling inspired myself now! I saw a felt wreath somewhere and thought I ought to have a go but yours is far nicer.

ju-north said...

Beautiful and unique! Leave it there all year! (Make one out of felt too!)

Terriea Kwong said...

Beautiful and festive. Oak leaves are pretty shape and also give nice prints on fabric. Love the shapes.

Rachel said...

It is lovely, - maybe not traditionally Christmassy , but certainly very festive!

Gina said...

It's beautiful Jackie! And very seasonal.

Unknown said...

Just a very festive and brilliant Christmas wreath, Jackie - Best wishes for a jolly holiday to you and your Dog.
-sus

Heather said...

It's beautiful and so individual. I love oak leaves too - almost all leaves come to that. I think you'll find that the tiny cones are from an alder tree.

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

Your wreath is perfection and the kind of decor I favor! I had a problem with my wreaths banging on the door, too, but fortunately my door is made of steel so I put a strong magnet on the back of the wreath and no more banging! Looks like your door is wood, so no help to you. Sorry.
What about one of those Scotch brand hooks with removable adhesive….under the bottom of the wreath, where you could wire the bottom to the hook?

Unknown said...

How about blutack?

Zdolność-tworzenia said...

Piękny.

Pam said...

As all the other commenters say it's gorgeous Jackie!! I hadn't realised how beautiful oak leaves are, and unfortunately I don't get them around here where I live. You've done a fantastic job with the whole wreath and definitely year round decor! Maybe if the quinces aren't too hard to remove you could mix it up a bit with different fruit/nuts/whatever for different times of the year? Though I think I'd be wanting to have it inside or at least on our back deck where we'd see it more, once Christmas is over. and yes those pieces you refer to do look just like oak leaves! ♥

Helen said...

gorgeous wreath!! and so inventive. Love it!

Sheeprustler said...

It's a beautiful! I love oak leaves. You can use them for dying too!

Anonymous said...

It's just perfect.

Annie Cholewa said...

It's totally wonderful, and yes, perfectly Christmassy. Bravo!

Jacqui Galloway said...

Oh soooooo beautiful! Merry Christmas x

sharon young said...

What a lovely interpretation of the traditional Christmas garland, I love it.

ferinn said...

Puts another spin on recycling! Could be a seasonal money spinner.

Maggi said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Jackie.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Really nice! Those leaves are serving double duty - making a lovely wreath AND giving you lots of inspiration for stitch.

FeltersJourney said...

It is beautiful Jackie! I'm not really 'into' Christmas wreaths.. but love your oaky version :)
Have a lovely Christmas xx

Virginia said...

Happy Christmas Jackie.

All your work is gorgeous, and the wreath is fabulous. I collected oak tree leaves (oak trees aren't that common in New Zealand) pressed them and then laminated them. They are thus re-usable for making sun-prints on fabric. Worked out very well, and so easy to clean up, and another advantage was that they don't break up.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.