Thursday 1 August 2013

MORE lovely days in Norfolk... very long post.

Once again I'be been to land of cornfields and wide wide skies.
I stopped on the way in this field , to eat my M&S egg and cress sandwich.

I marvelled at the hedgerows sporting wild things I can't even cultivate in my garden.

I also marvelled that I was able to find my way without getting lost and managed to find my way to a sweet little B&B in the village of Stiffkey on the North Norfolk coast. It was a fairly modern house, with very thoughtful hosts, providing a small kitchen area and fridge in the room, so we didn't have to eat out at every meal. Very handy as I have written about the problem of Bed and Breakfast over indulgence before. (Here if you are interested, but please note that we passed that particular B&B this weekend and its closed down)

 Here's our bit, lovely big French doors, and then the view from where we had our breakfast. I loved the colours of the catmint and dahlias together.

Just a stride away was the path to the saltmarshes, with wide views of sunset over the cornfields

 and little sheds "quick take a picture of that shed" cries my other half. The more battered the better. This was a bird hide with graffiti. Names such as 'Harry and Freya' or 'Ollie and Lucy' were scratched into the woodwork. None of your 'Shaz and Gaz' here. A better class of vandal ?


Gorgeous gardens abound. I think they call these 'weeds' here. Poor things.  I would be happy with weeds like these..

There is a super Contemporary art exhibition in Cley Church until 4th August. 
 This avenue of almost extinct apple trees is one of the exhibits, by David Lincoln and Martin Skipper.










 There's some student work in the garden, papier mache and fabric birds,
 Spoonbill
 'Knife fork and spoonbill'

Inside a great variety of work.
An inlaid commercial felt map of Blakeney Point and the coast by Stephanie Gilbert

A wonderful collaborative piece called 'New Beginnings' by Paul Ebens and Peter Swann; which is a confessional (where you 'start again') covered with lots of bits of old furniture starting life as decorative additions.

 I loved this charity board which is a permanent feature.



 These pieces on acetate are huge magnifications of pollen grains by Clare Jarrett.



In the bottom left of this picture is a piece called 'Hibernator'  by Graham High.

which was echoed by some other slightly disturbing pieces high in the ceiling, look carefully,  not to mention the actual bats who had left some evidence....
 My absolute favourite piece inside was this beautiful wooden sculpture by a very distinguished artist from Brazil,  Anna Maria Pacheco



Just made for that niche...but I think the parish might be hard pressed to find the £38.000 it was reputed to be valued.



Hanging above the pews was a  piece called ' Fishing forever' by Judith Campbell. Nets made from natural material unlike the ones used currently by fishing fleets, which, when they get lost or detached, will not biodegrade and will therefore fish forever.


 The pew ends were quietly sitting there wondering what all the fuss was about. They'd been there hundreds of years without notice!

 The centre of this picture shows a beautiful piece by Carol Columbi, made of silk with eco-dyed patterns. I wish I'd got a better photograph. It was delicate and lovely.



Another piece by Anna maria Pacheco





 Some collograph prints by Kate Green


This exhibition was beautifully hung . It both complemented and was complemented by, the ancient architecture.

 Outside:the fantastic 'River of Reeds' by Mike Dodd. It wound round

 and round, (interacting with  'Shoal' the fish machine by Rob Spray, in the crumbling north transept. It shone and turned and squeaked in the sunshine.)

 and round,
 and round,
 and round,
 and round,
 the church passing the beautiful ancient gravestones with their own adornments.
This lumpy angel is one.

 There were loads more things to see.

Here's another old church. Cockthorpe. Much more information HERE

 Norfolk is full of them. 



Once the key was obtained from the farmhouse across the road, we went inside to look at some delicate medieval wallpainting which had been uncovered by our friend, years ago.


Peace





Inside once again the pew ends sat bearing witness with their polished surfaces, to the hands of those who leaned on them over the mere 400 hundred years they've shared the churches life.



  A strange sight in a corner..
A gorgeous little angel in the window. 

On MOnday I had a trip on my own to Cambridge. 
I got off the bus outside Christ's college.


 Walked about a bit. Wonderful buildings wherever you look.


Lovely shops.

 Punting.



 I don't remember the names of these places, but I saw them all on a bus tour! Colleges founded by queens who feature in historical tv drama; ancient buildings with massive history. 
I was envious of those young people who  in possession of great brains, get to own this city for a few years.

So thats my trip to Norfolk.
I got to meet an old friend I hadn't seen for 14 years ; I got to spend a few extra days with my husband; I got to spend almost £100 on a new car battery when I broke down at Salthouse and had to call the RAC; and I got lost on the way home.

A lovely few days though. 
I just wish Jools would come home. He hasn't been seen for three days. :(





21 comments:

Heather said...

Wonderful photos and such an interesting post Jackie. Those old churches are so beautiful and make a fantastic exhibition venue. You certainly made the most of your visit to Norfolk - glad you got home safely.

jinxxxygirl said...

Thank you for sharing all those wonderful pictures!! I have to say i was most fascinated by the pew ends and your thoughts on how many hands must have rested on them ..... beautiful ... Come home Jools.... :) hugs! deb

EricaSta said...

What a wonderful Post ... I have to look and read twice or more times <3

Cheers, Heidrun

Magic Bean said...

I have spent ages marvelling at your Norfolk pics- what fabulous stuff. And then an outsiders glimpse of my own patch- you have reminded me how lucky I am to live here. Ax

Max the Lobster said...

Thank you for these Jackie, it brought a tear to my eye remembering many many happy days at Cley and the North Norfolk coast(one of the best places in the country) and the brass rubbing I did in the churches around there (think Cley was one of them)in the days when you could still do that sort of thing!

chocolatefrog said...

Wonderful variety of art, nature and architecture all in one trip! Really enjoyed your post, thank you.
And, please could you send me details of the B&B in Stiffkey? Sounds like it might solve some problems for us.

Unknown said...

Oh the history! I recall our first trip to the UK. I h
Felt the need to run my hands over the walls of buildings to have some sort of connection to the hands that built them. Awesome photos thank you.

Su said...

What a wonderful break you had. Isnt that art exhibition lovely. Hope Jools comes home soon.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! Thank you for sharing your trip to Norfolk with us.

Lorely Forrester said...

Oh dear - hope Jools comes home soon. Love love love the hollyhocks - I've just been in Suffolk - I think they are the regional flower of East Anglia!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thank you for the tour - felt like I was there in person. Very interesting to see the art displayed along with the architecture!

Robin Mac said...

What wonderful photos, and thanks so much for the detailed tour - you obviously had a really interesting holiday. I hope Jools has come home by now. Cheers

sharon young said...

Thank you for a wonderful post, I love this area, my husband went there first and stayed in Stifkey with his brother and a friend, he knew I'd love it so took me.
What a fabulous exhibition, we missed that church, will look for it next time.
Hope Jools comes back soon.

Maggi said...

Brilliant post Jackie. I do hope that Jools turns up soon

ArtPropelled said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post Jackie, particularly the exhibition and the sculpture in the niche by Anna Maria Pacheco.

Gilly Tee said...

Thank you so much for showing us the art exhibition at Cley, I have been meaning to go and see it and haven't got around to it but at least I have seen it through your eyes.
Gillx

Rachel said...

Cambridge is such a spectacular place. I wonder how hard it is to study when the architecture is so beautiful it knocks you silly!

Anonymous said...

The exhibition looked wonderful and I loved how the exhibits complemented both the church and the wider culture and traditions of the area. A joy to share it through your photos. Thank you. :o)

Miriam Weaver said...

A lovely post Jackie, Norfolk is a lovely county and is full of hidden treasures, we've had some lovely holidays and weekends there, we even took Betsy there last year! Cambridge is an interesting place too shame it rained for your visit though. Glad Jools found his way home .

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Hopped over from Coby's blog. Really enjoyed these pictures. Spent many summers in England with my British mother and they brought back great memories. Interesting having art in a graveyard. Never seen that before but seemed to fit in fine.

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.