Monday 22 April 2013

Jooooocy

The hearts have been very popular.
No sooner do I show them than I sell them. I'm not complaining!
Its lovely to have such appreciative viewers. Long may it continue.
BUT it can get a bit repetitive and I have to make it fun by playing with ideas. 
I made these fruity coloured hearts and thought the centres were just crying out for some spots.

 What do you think? Hand stitching, French knots, what's not to like? 
I know I really enjoyed doing it. 
Strangely, these are colours of the Opal Fruits (Starbursts for you young 'uns) that I liked the least.


 But for stitching I think these are my current favourite colours.

Who remembers Spangles? They were the fruity sweets we had. They came in other flavours besides fruit. Acid drops, made your saliva glands ache;  spearmint, Old English, butterscotch?
Any more?
Probably Barley Sugar.


I'm not good at dying and I'm trying to remember how I get the palest duck egg blue/turquoise that I'm so fond of, so no subtlety for now.

Last week, just after I'd posted in fact, a big but surprisingly light package arrived from Ramster. Only one big piece and four brooches unsold, and a nice big fat and very welcome cheque in an envelope. 
It was the fishy piece that came back and I am really pleased. 
I just wasn't ready to say goodbye.

I expect you south dwelling people are enjoying beautiful sunshine now. Well its grey and wet here. We had a lovely day on Saturday with blue sky and warm sunshine. I even did a tentative bit of gardening..well, re potting really. 
It made a tremendous difference to everything having a day of sun. I drove along the motorway today and was amazed by bright green lumpy forms on the side of the road which I realised were budding bushes. 
About time.

15 comments:

Twiglet said...

Stunning little works of art on your latest posts - well done on all the sales! x Jo

Anonymous said...

Lovely brooches and ah! I remember when they were Opal Fruits :)

Lins Artyblobs said...

Love the colours on your brooches. I do remember Spangles and I was gardening on Saturday on the nice day too. Cold and windy again today.

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

Not good at trying? Impossible! So once in a while you forget a formula....you'er still a master dyer in my book!

Heather said...

Love the spotty hearts - I love french knots too. It's been grey and cool here today but we're promised warmth mid-week then back to cold at the weekend. You really do have to make the most of every fine day that turns up.
Congrats on doing so well at Ramster.

Unknown said...

What yummy sweets! Not surprised they are good sellers.
best, sus

sharon young said...

Lovely colours, and the last one looks as if it's got frosting round the edge, I'm not surprised the sell out.
Yes I do remember spangles, they were great.

Carol Rigby said...

Lovely brooches. My favourite is the blue one. I remember Spangles. I wonder if you remember Apple Tarts. You can get something similar nowadays but like most things they don't taste like they used too.(Eye poppingly sour!)Well thats how I remember them.

Rachel said...

What about lemon sherbets? I remember Opal Fruits, but not Spangles...

Maggi said...

Lovely pieces. Could never understand the need for the change of name from Opal Fruit - bit like Marathon and Snickers! Spangles were good too. Congratulations on your sales at Ramster.

Wendy said...

Really? But the red ones are/were the best! you can't beat red sweets...

In terms of colour, I adore that blue you've used.

jońska said...

What a fantastic colours!
Wonderful idea of hearts, love them:)

Miriam Weaver said...

Love the hearts I can see why they sell so quickly. I remember opal fruits, spangles and apple tarts, my favourites were rhubarb and custard. We used to buy them by the ounce and they came in big jars and where tipped into bags on the huge weighing scales. Oh those were the days, I sound like I'm an old lady.......

Vicki said...

My son used to love Starburst, very tangy.
Congrats on your sales - there are some very happy people out there with your beautiful artwork.
Stunning brooches - my kind of eye candy :)

bas re-design said...

Lovely hearts!
Looks like mexican "milagritos" or italian "ex-voto".
Congratulation for your work.

bas
http://bas-redesign.blogspot.com/



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.