Monday 20 April 2009

Back after a busy week.

Today I am feeling quite relaxed after a very hectic week.
Monday was spent preparing for a visit from two really close friends. We first met 40 years ago in September when we arrived at Strawberry Hill, St Mary's college. We had a fantastic three years there then spent another three years together teaching in the same area. One is now a head of an 'outstanding' school,(offstead!) and the other is a deputy and doing a heads course. I on the other hand am a complete failure in the world of education.
Friends like that do not stand on ceremony. We have years when we don't get in touch but then pick up where we left off.

Tuesday was the felt group day and on Wednesday my friends arrived and we talked ate and drank wine until very late, and I was sad to say goodbye on Thursday, but I couldn't have stood another night with that amount of wine!
Then I had to get ready for Friday, pictures below, a workshop with a great tutor, Linda Westerman.
Here we are all working

This is a pile of some of Linda's fabulous work.

Here are our efforts.

Bet you can't guess which is mine.

She was an excellent tutor and we all did different things.
I was asked to give the vote of thanks.
I wrote it down, I read it to my friend.
BUT IT STILL CAME OUT WRONG!!!! I managed to make a sincere compliment sound like an insult.
Its my special skill.
Or a syndrome.
Putting my foot in it syndrome.
I had done it on a blog comment only the day before, but I won't tell you where.
I am going to get a tattoo on my forehead saying 'please do not ask me to speak in public..I will muck it up'
I feel sick. I couldn't sleep.
Fortunately I have a very poor memory so the sting has faded almost away, its only writing about it here thats is giving me post traumatic stress.

Karen tagged me recently with a kreativ blogger award, where I have to write a few facts about myself. I already did it here so I'll pass on writing more facts but I must encourage you to visit her blog and look at the beautiful stiching there. I think I'll mention four here that I have been reading and enjoying.
Heather from Ragged Old Blogger who has done wonderful things with a dead catalogue!
Helen from Cocoa and Blankets who is currently showing lovely pictures of her trip to Venice
Another Helen who does lovely embroidery at Sea Strands and is making fibre flowers.
Do visit Cathy at Menopausal Musings who has a really interesting way with her blog pictures.
So ladies, if you would like to play, all you have to do is write 7 facts about yourself, link back to me here, and pass it on. You can use the picture if you like, its in my sidebar. Kreativ blogger.
There is no obligation.


On Saturday morning I remembered that I had generously volunteered to type out, mount, and cut all the labels or should I say 'tablets' for our exhibition.
When that was finished without too many rejects, I started this, a copy of a piece I did earlier in the year.

Its about a foot square. Its funny but whatever you do, you always learn something or find a bit you like. Do you find that?
I really like the little blue circle above the black 'star' and I made a very small brooch like it.
About one o' clock in the morning on Sunday.
I may do more.

I finished my two large 'moucharabia' pieces, which I have re-named 'Marrakech' because it may have more appeal to someone who has been there.
This is the completed piece on its calico background,

and here it is rather skew whiff on my wardrobe door.

Here's the second one I did.


They are about two feet by 18 inches approximately.
The detail below shows a bit of two needle embellisher work. I wanted to give the idea of light coming through the window, but I don't think I've made the lines vary in length enough. It was all done in a rush so I didn't have time to change it.

The next one shows the area where I made nuno felt on muslin and then worked from the back with the embellisher to push the felt through to the front. I finished it with hand stitching to convey the idea of the tiled courtyard outside.


I put the two small pieces in IKEA frames.

I stuck them on with sticky velcro, but by the time we delivered them, they had come adrift in the frames. I stuck them back but am worried.

The exhibition is in Lytham at the Heritage Centre on the corner of Dicconson Terrace.
We had a lovely walk along the sea front, the weather was amazing.
I haven't been out for an afternoon with my husband since last August Bank Holiday (Not counting Symi) so it was a real treat.

I am stewarding the exhibition on Friday, 10 till 4 so if you are in the area do call in and say hello.

30 comments:

arlee said...

The second felted piece i LOVE---and that beigey orangey bluey Jackie piece :} MMm-mmm_MMMM

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

They are all very cool! I love how they look framed.

jude said...

i do find that each piece i do becomes a sampler of discovery. love those new blue pieces. like blanket fragments.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Lovely pieces...well worth the wait...Sounds like a wonderful week away.
The pieces look great in frames.

Gina said...

Very busy week! I shouldn't really laugh at you having "put your foot in it" syndrome, should I? Good luck with the exhibition, you have some lovely work.

Heather said...

I am flattered to be tagged by you as I love your work. Your friends may be 'big' in education but I bet they can't do what you do with fabric and thread. That workshop looked good. I like the top left oblong bit in your foot square piece and the Marrakech pieces are great. Hope the exhibition goes well.

Jude said...

Gosh, I'm reeling, what a week!
Your work is gorgeous, I wish I was closer so I could visit the show.
I do like that piece of work with the stars and shapes on, abit different!

Julie said...

Foot in Mouth syndrome - a well known phenomenon!

I love the Marrakech pieces and they do look great in the white frames. Good luck with the exhibition.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hi Jackie,
Looks like you had a fun busy week!
I love your abstract designs in machine embroidery, very beautiful.x

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

What a lovely post, so interesting hearing about your week and, sorry, I had to laugh at your gaffe, it's the way you tell em!!

Good luck with your exhibition, not that you will need it as all your work is wonderful and thanks for giving us a preview!!

Best wishes, Carolyn

Genie said...

Lovelly work Jackie

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks for your comments Jackie, not sure how I change the email thing!!!! I'm a bit behind the times!

Elizabeth said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, everbody makes mistakes. Your talent is to make beautiful objects. Love to look at them over and over again hoping to learn something. Your blue pieces are stunning.

Enjoy yourself. See you!!!

Elizabeth

Art Space Gallery said...

Hilarious writing Jackie, to do with your speech, and then more laughs when I found '7 things about you'.

If it's any consolation I was skinny as a teenager too and was known as 'Twiggy' for quite some time.

Particularly like your second Marrakech piece. BFN. Lesley

Michael House said...

I bet your 'putting your foot in it'syndrome is worse in your head than it really sounded! I think I suffer it too.
Beautiful work.

hens teeth said...

Your work really is a feast for the eyes Jackie, you are just too bloomin' talented for your own good missus!
I wish I could call and say 'hello' at Lytham, I hope you have an enjoyable day.

menopausalmusing said...

Wonderful work Jackie. Thanks for the "tagging".... (I think!! ha! ha!). Incidentally, I loved that last photo of shadows.... did you take it? x

menopausalmusing said...

Wonderful work Jackie. Thanks for the "tagging".... (I think!! ha! ha!). Incidentally, I loved that last photo of shadows.... did you take it? x

Anonymous said...

looks like you have been quite prolific! i think you get your point your point across just fine-no foot in mouth syndrome as far as i can see;-)

maggik1 said...

Thank you for today!!!

Kitty said...

I made the picture of the workshop pieces BIG and yours was easy to spot - bluey/green and with spirals? I think you have such a great 'signature' for your work - I like to think I could spot it a mile off, but I probably flatter myself.

I love your blog, I love your work, and I think you yourself are fab - with your foot in your mouth or not. More power to your elbow.

x

A time to dance said...

Hi Mate...oh gosh I dont think there are that many interesting things about me...and any that are interesting are probably rude....I will scratch my head...I am a bit of a virgin tagger you know...

Linda Vincent said...

Hi Jackie...I love reading your blog; you always make me smile. (I still read your 'About Me' every now and then.)
Stunning work to see as always...I especially like the second Marrakech piece; the colours are so soft and peaceful (and the space invaders are fab too!)
We've just had a big embroidery exhibition in Long Eaton - the Living Threads Group. I took Rosie to see it....just wonderful (thought of you).
Love
Linda x

'fancypicnic' said...

Phew...what a week! Sounds great.
That syndrome...? I have it, too - if you recall!

x

Kate Fernyhough said...

Wow, you have been busy, your work looks fabulous, how you manage to squeeze in a workshop and visitors too...amazing.

ArtPropelled said...

I really love the felt work you're doing Jackie and framing them is the cherry on the top.
Speaking about putting one's foot in it...I'm extremely talented at putting both feet in it...so you're not alone.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I love photos of creative clutter!! It's so inspiring to me!!

Shelly said...

Gorgeous Marrakech pieces, Jackie. The close-up of the hand stitching on the scroll is really wonderful.
The pieces look fabulous in the shadowbox frames.
:-)
Shelly

Ruth said...

I'm a bit late to arrive but I love the Marrakech stuff too!

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Jackie, what kind of embellisher do you use/recommend??? Please? Thanks! :)



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.