Monday 27 October 2014

Venetian memories



A very long time ago it seems, I met a lovely lady who asked me to make a piece of embroidery for or rather a collection of small pieces mounted together. We discussed colours and she said 'think old Venice'   Well I'd never been to Venice so I put it on the back burner for a while. 
Earlier this year we went to Venice and I took a million photos. It was still on the back burner as I was busy up until Yarndale but after that I got going. 

Looking back through my photographs, at the colours of Old Venice, I saw faded lime-washed walls, grey green water, curly iron work, and bare stone and white marble. 


I had some lovely felt coloured with natural dyes some time ago at our felt group. Soft and muted and perfect for the task.


I made a start, using the motif Wyn liked, which I suppose is reminiscent of Gondola 'pointy bits' 



I used muted velvets for the centres with the exception of the terracotta which I thought was a very accurate match for the view from the apartment we stayed in in Venice.


A little pale green echoes the verdigris on the spire (Although I've only just spotted that!)


Ahh lovely Venice, beautiful scenes around every corner.


I mounted them on a card, just slightly raised from the background 




and used an unfinished deep pine frame which can be painted or varnished.



Well I'm extremely pleased with the way it turned out and I think Wyn loves it too.

It makes me think I might do more in a similar vein.


17 comments:

sharon young said...

Oh what a gorgeous piece, the colours are perfect for Venice, I've never been, but it's on the list. No wonder your friend is pleased, it's beautiful.

StaroftheEast said...

This is gorgeous!

Bossymamma said...

Beautiful and certainly reminiscent of old Venice.

Rachel said...

Well done indeed - what a lovely range of colours!

EllenF said...

A little treasure chest: love the deep pine frame. It accentuates your designs. And the tableau reminds me of Venice. Thank you.

Maggi said...

Love the way that you have captured the colours.

Susan E. J. White said...

Beautiful as always. It is so nice the way you've lined out what did in this post. Thank you,
Sue

Chris H said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Heather said...

Beautiful muted colours and lovely shapes. They look so right in that natural frame.

ferinn said...

Stunning! You have such a good eye for colour. I'd be pleased with it too.

Magic Bean said...

Oh my. The pink and green one is GORGEOUS! And the colours reflect the plant in the windowbox perfectly. You are a clever old sausage! Ax

Jo Campbell said...

Your work is lovely. I love Venice, although the few hours I spent there were during a very cold winter day so lots more blue and grey colours (and pre-digital camera, so nowhere near enough photos). I particularly like the center design with the deep contrast.

massofhair said...

EXQUISITE work, beautiful colours and shapes. No wonder your friend was pleased they are a treasure:-) x

Gina said...

Beautiful Jackie. I love the colours.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You definitely should do more! I wonder about something 'four seasons' too....

Annie said...

This is so beautiful. I adore the colours.

Linda Vincent said...

Sorry I'm late, but I just wanted to say I LOVE this!! You're a talented lady...



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.