Sunday 5 June 2016

Mostly May.

A very long post .
The weather has Ben glorious in recent days and weeks. Really sunny during the day , mostly, and at night these little chaps visit. I wish they had bigger appetites though. 


Mid May brought a wonderful two days teaching again in the stunning Yorkshire Dales ( I know I shouldn't admits to that being a Lancashire lass). The village of Snape was the venue with it's  green open centre surrounded by lovely stone cottages. 


There was a warm welcome ( even though I'd got lost following the satnav rather than asking for directions) and we soon got down to work. The group is a village embroidery group and they have lovely events, great members and beautiful lunches. 

Sarah and her sister, Mary looked after me, and everyone else. Mary had made the lunch, and as usual it was enormous and delicious. Pudding as well. I didn't need an evening meal. I stayed with Sarah where I was made very comfortable and welcome and the next day did it all over again with different set of members. 


Both groups worked hard and seemed to enjoy each of their days. 



I know I did. 

Thank you Sarah and Mary and lovely ladies of Snape and friends.

Sarah and Mary had taken me to see the castle chapel and I popped back on my way home with my camera. 

The ceiling had had paintings by Verrio and they said a restorer had been to look at them, who I discovered was a friend and former colleague of my husband's, and we'd been on holiday with him and his late wife years ago. 
Small world eh?

I really enjoyed the journey home..every village a chocolate box picture. I was wishing I lived there, but then I had a nice welcome home and realise home is where the Het is. (and of course, the heart)


Back to work I was making a group of brooches for a new gallery opening in Grassington, called Good to be Home. 
I back my brooches in Liberty fabric, and this print 
was perfect for these.  


I put these all on Facebook so apologies for repeating. 


Then I got my scissors and let them fly 


My  garden has been doing ok lately, regular readers know the misery I've had in past years with weeds, slugs, rain, shade , poor soil. But I got to grips with it  a couple of years ago and am gradually realising what will grow and what won't. My lovely lilac is beautiful at the moment.
I had to pick a bunch for the table. (Note kitchen makeover in progress behind. From orange wood to painted wood. More on that when it's finished) 


The bluebells have been glorious in the woods .



And my own bright blue clematis in the garden has just finished doing its thing. 


On Tuesday mornings I got to yoga at the local Hall. A big house owned by the school of economic science who organise Art in Action at Waterperry House Oxfordshire. It's the last Art in Action this year so if you haven't been it's worth a visit. 
Anyway, this is my walk to the Hall. It's amazing at this time of year. 



The fields on either side are full of lambs and cows at the moment. 


Elsewhere n the village the paths are lined with wild flowers. I love cow parsley and see that I am in good company, Monty Don was waxing lyrical about it last week. Sadly the local authorities think it's dangerous to traffic so it won't be long before they mow it. 



These little things were in my garden before we came to live here. I don't know what they are but they fill me with joy when they suddenly burst out of their leaves which just look like a pile of dead grass.


The allium have doubled in number, each plant having two spikes, but seem a bit smaller. Perhaps I ought to break them up?



Look at this for a nice surprise.

I bought some bulbs and then forgot about them, put then in very late and forgot again. 
Now they are delighting me.


Aren't they fab?
Sicilian Honey Garlic I believe.


And here is a picture of my husband multi-tasking. 
Mowing the grass while waiting for paint to dry. 


Hetty doesn't like the lawn mower. 


I even have high hopes for the iris this year, holey as they are, I have buds. Woo hoo!


Now for some sewing news. 
In three weeks it's Woolfest! 
I have a stand there and am working hard to fill it.

Then the weekend after, for a week there's going to be an exhibition at a farm in Coniston to which I have been invited as an exhibitor.















It looks very exciting and I'm looking forward to it, working on some Herdwick related pieces.


I can't decide if these are naff or genius! (Somewhere in between might be nice)
It's all about the eyes.

And finally.....a few pieces of my work (along with the work of about 500 felters) has been included in this lovely book.




Bye for now.



10 comments:

Heather said...

What a fabulous post. Your teaching visit to Yorkshire looked and sounded so lovely and all the various scenery you photographed - journey home, walk to yoga, etc., was very high in the feel good factor. Love your sheepy works - not naff at all. I bet Hetty was pleased to have you home again. That plant from the forgotten bulb is beautiful.

jinxxxygirl said...

Jackie so nice to catch up with you! Life seems to have been good to you. :) Love seeing your work and hearing you are getting out to teach and have a lovely time. Walking to yoga and all the flowers...

Hubby has been on a fishing frenzy . Makes me so happy to see him out on a friends boat enjoying himself.... Work on the house goes on. Mostly painting trim and installing it...Keeping the grass mowed is a full time job right now... Hot temperatures await us this week... not looking forward to that... Take good care of yourself... pop on over to the blog for a catch up.... Hugs! deb

Gina said...

I wrote a long comment and lost it! So now I'm just going to say hello!

Digitalgran said...

I enjoyed that long post Jackie! you have had a busy time.

Rachel said...

What lovely villages! Such a treat!

Els said...

Thanks for ALL of it ..... ;-)

Joy said...

Yes, a fabulous post! You've done well with your work, so colorful. The landscapes and views about town are so lovely. The photos make me feel as if I had been there. Thank you for a sharing all of this beauty.

Lyn said...

Oh Jackie I saw your sheep on Facebook and I love them, they are gorgeous! I am glad your garden is rewarding you for all your hard work! xxx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This post is chock full of such fun things to see and read about. I love your little sheepies, but I must admit the birds make me happiest. Oh....and thanks for the pics of Hetty - I've missed seeing her!

Beulah Laster said...

This is the most delightful blog I have ever read. Please sign me up to receive them wind home@suddenlink.net
I now live in Ruston, Louisiana but for 8 glorious years I lived in Lowestoft, Suffolk. I am so thankful, deep in my heart, that so many days were spent in England. One day my husband was looking at the miles I had put on our car. I said "But I don't want to miss anything". His reply was "Dear God woman I don't think you have. You put 10,000 miles a year on a car in a country that is only 950 miles long (milage is not accurate but you get the point)," We (my 3 children and I) have been in your part of England. I love your work and your photos. You inspire me to do the same thing about my part of the world. I live in a beautiful little southern town. It deserves to have the same lovely pictures taken of it. Thank you for starting my day in such a wonderful way.
Sincerely,
Beulah Laster



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.