Thursday 19 February 2015

Satisfied

The Post-Christmas Blues Creativity boost has been great.
First I made the brooches in response to lovely shop/gallery requests and I think that got my Creative Muscle toned.
I was struggling on with this piece since before Christmas but have finally finished it.  I quite like it but there are a few bits I might do differently.



I like the colours and am working on two small pieces from the same batch of felting.

When I was Reeeeeaaally lacking inspiration I decided to do some drawing , you know the 'drawing a day' resolution which lasts about 8 days.
I did a few doodles just letting myself go anywhere with the pencil .





I quite liked this so made a whole lot of pre-felts and constructed a background piece which I think I should have photographed before stitching.

Anyway here it is with stitching...rather a lot..and I really feel satisfied with it. Its a bit busy but I like that.

Its about 10 inches square






It reminds me of the day we got lost in the Pedi Valley on the Island of Symi last September. Click link to see pictures.


The undergrowth was beautifully coloured, shades of pale green and soft ochre, and quite 'seedy' and prickly.  Perhaps not so lush but it has that feel.

I have more drawings so I might look at working those into finished pieces.

I've also been working on another piece but I have a problem with it. Its too influenced by an artist I love. I fear if I post pictures it will be obvious where I have taken my inspiration. I don't know whether to bother finishing it.

I have a few commitments at the moment, the most urgent being a piece for an embellishing magazine in Australia, with an African theme. I know it will go swimmingly once I get going but its just taking that first step..or should I say putting my toe in the water!

I have extended the deadline to give myself a fighting chance! I think its going to be based on  Tuaregs camel saddle bags I saw in a museum in Marrakech.



I'm also excited that I've been accepted for Woolfest! In Cockermouth in June. I can't wait. So much work to be done for that.

In other news: I'm in the middle of a month off alcohol..I only really drink red wine, and not every day either, and I can't say I'm missing it too much. I enjoy a glass with a meal a few  times a week, but then it makes me sleepy and worse still very warm, so I don't miss that.

 I hear that a month off has a wonderful effect on your general health so I'm giving it a go. Most people did January but I didn't get round to it.

 Its not strictly speaking a full month as I didn't start until 3rd February (because we were finishing a box of shiraz) and on 28th I'll be eating in an Italian Restaurant in the West of Ireland so I think that would be a good time to break the fast.

My husband thinks it might be a mistake to start drinking alcohol again in the week we go to Ireland but I must be moderate. I'm not an alcoholic or anything but in the Whiskey Bar in Ballyvaughan I may be tempted to overdo it. Mind you, Margaret the owner make s a great pot of tea and she always brings cake with it.

I suppose I ought to return to abstaining when I get home as its Lent and I'm a good Catholic girl, but guess what? I completely forgot to go to mass tonight for Ash Wednesday. I'd planned to, and just plain forgot. I always go on Ash Wednesday, in fact I don't think I've ever missed before.
I blame it on lack of red wine in my brain.

The funny thing was that my 87 year old Mum rang last night in a flap and asked 'Is it Ash wednesday tomorrow ?' So SHE went to Mass!

Here's another little piece I finished and is available in my etsy shop. Its small...four inches square.


I've also started Yoga.
Its very 'yoga-lite'. I was worried it might be a bit spiritual but its a mixture of Yoga and Pilates and is absolutely fantastic. I am the blob in the corner that can't quite bend enough or balance enough but I feel amazing when I've finished Its actually in our village and thats nice. (Have I mentioned this already?)

Thank you to everyone who commented last time.
I'm sorry if I didn't manage to reply to you , sometimes its difficult to find an email address so if you comment please check back here for replies.
And finally...someone asking to be doodled..I got a bit carried away with the starry eyes. I need practice.




Bye for now.



23 comments:

Unknown said...

Busy it is one of your best. Love the more natural colours a realy big one would be a statement piece.

chocolatefrog said...

Really love the new seed head piece! Different but still clearly you.

Jackie said...

Thank you Chloe. Its hard to work big..this is quite a large one for me and I found it difficult to make those leaves so big.

Heather said...

I love your drawings and these new pieces especially the one with the allium head. It's gorgeous. Aren't the saddlebags wonderful? No wonder they inspired you. Good luck with the yoga, it is so relaxing and good for the whole body.

Julie said...

I've pinned your new piece Jackie, it's beautiful and I love the embroidery. If you're enjoying the piece that you think reflects osmeone else's work can you not complete it for yourself? We are all influenced more or less heavily by all the work out there and we all have our heroes so sometimes influence will out. My art teacher always told us to re-interpet an artists work, not copy and I know you would never copy. xx

Els said...

What a wonderful flowery pieces Jackie !
So good to see the drawings first and the felt stitching of that later ;-)
(Mmmmm LOVE Alliums !!!)

Pam said...

It's been a while between visits sorry Jackie, but I can see your talent has never left you! Your pieces are fantastic and the colours are still just as beautiful as they always have been.
Your dandelion piece is certainly something to be very proud of! Love it so much!!
Much luck indeed with the magazine, alcohol and Woolfest. ♥

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

I love seeing your creative process and am especially fond of that one with the allium - lovely textures and not to busy at all!
I've been doing yoga quite faithfully for 8 years and the thing I like best about it is that you push only to your individual tough point...it's ALL yoga lite! And the really amazing thing is that, over time, I've seen so much progress.
Can't wait to see what you do with the Tuareg bag motifs!

Linda’s Textiles said...

Your new work is absolutely wonderful - love your 10" seed head piece particularly.

Bossymamma said...

Lovely pieces. The camel's saddlebag idea is intriguing

Rachel said...

That's a very evocative piece - well done!

Twiglet said...

As usual, I am totally in awe of your beautiful felty works of art - especially the one with the seed head. x Jo

WendyCarole said...

Love your new piece :) And your doodles.

Robin Mac said...

As usual I love all your pieces Jackie. The colours in the first piece are some of my favourites. The seedhead piece is vey different, but still lovely. Those Marrakesh bags are certainly your colours, also the blue of the Tuaregs, good luck with getting the piece finished. You are certainly going to be busy for the next few months. Hope Hetty approves of her doodle! Cheers.

Gina said...

Lovely to catch up Jackie. Those stitched felt pieces are stunning. And I like your drawings too but had the laugh at the drawing a day that only lasts 8 days... That's me!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like these new pieces - especially the leaves and allium. I did yoga for awhile and actually do miss it...seriously doubt my bones would bend in quite the same way now!!

sharon young said...

What a wonderful inspiring post, Jackie, I love the seed head piece, gorgeous colour scheme, and your sketches are lovely, especially the one of Hetty.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the busy piece!

Elizabeth said...

I love your new pieces Jackie!! Do you always use prefelts in your bigger pieces? I might have to try it. Upu seem to get rather crisp shspes. Of vourse that means i have to stock up on more roving!!!😀oh NO!!!! You inspire me so!!!!!

jennyflowerblue said...

Wow- you certainly have your mojo back! Think I might try a dry month if that is the result. I love the seed head piece, so many interesting textures and I can't wait to see what springs forth from the saddle bag inspiration. xx

Linda Vincent said...

Oh my goodness Jackie....so much to take in! Love that you were inspired by Pedi flora for one of your pieces; I remember with fondness our walk from the main Symi harbour, up all those steps, through the old town and down the other side to Pedi bay. Phew!
All your felted pieces make me happy....I love them. X

Anna said...

I love your new pieces and enjoyed reading your post, your brooch I have is always admired.
Woolfest in Cockermouth sounds fun!

ladyhock said...

I Love these colors and your art. Thank you for sharing.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.