Tuesday 24 June 2014

Midsummer Moments

After the panels for exhibitions..its brooches!

I had quite a thrash recently as you can see.


One or two were pale and pretty but this picture doesn't really show it.


 I put daisies in the centre.


 Some WERE daisies of a kind. I haven't made flowers for a while.


 Of course there were some hearts.




 This is a shape I've used many times in the past and now I've been to Venice I think I might have been influenced by pictures in the past . I think it looks quite Venetian. Think the prow of a gondola..maybe?


I recently went clothes shopping and came a cross a lot of patterned dresses in a colour scheme similar to this. 
I thought I'd give it a go. Peach grey and turquoise.


So after all that work and a lot of gardening, I had no qualms when my neighbours invited me to go on  a walk with them.
They are due to lead a ramble in the Pateley Bridge area soon so were just trying it out .
We drove to Pateley bridge,
 about 50 miles, and then set off with two dogs and a picnic.

We saw some lovely sights. This was the view from the garden of a gorgeous quite isolated farmhouse, where the owner ushered us in to take a picture.



 Here's the farmhouse.


 Another pair of cottages one of which (we were told) is available to stay in for holidays, but try as I might I can't find out anything about it.


 I thought this was what it was called,


 but thats the name of the little hamlet its in. So if you live near Low Hole Bottom and know the cottage, please share!

This is where we had lunch. Thats the neighbours dog playing in the water.



Isn't it pretty? 
Other 'pretty' things appeared on the way.. a beautiful birds wing, sad for the bird though.


 We crossed a difficult surface through what seems to have been a gravel quarry..a bit like the surface of the moon,


 but even there were pretty wild flowers peeping out.




 There were so many varieties of wild flowers everywhere, tiny jewels in every colour..and some enormous ones..foxgloves make me smile.


 All along the way were yellow bikes. 
At the beginning of July The Tour de France is going though Yorkshire and there was much bunting, ribbons, 'pop-up' camp sites, and the yellow bicycles. 

One, in the Agricultural Showground was festooned with wool and I forgot to take a picture. I mean wool as in fleece.


 Even the hanging baskets and gardens were full of yellow flowers to match.


Its very hilly there and I know how I felt walking up the hills. I don't like it. 
The walk was just over 7 miles and I haven't walked a distance like that in recent years so it was quite an achievement.

Regular readers will know just how rubbish I am at gardening, but its really a matter of getting some hard work in, but here's my finest achievement of the Summer so far.



The success lies in keeping the slugs at bay thats all I have to do!


I've taken the garden in hand and there will be more achievements soon.
Watch this space.

A happy Midsummer to all of you.

17 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

What a beautiful post! All the pictures are beautiful!! That iris is really spectacular! Do you know the name of it?
We spent 3 years in Germany. We used to take part in Volksmarches. We LOVED it. You collect a little medal or a stamp in your book at the end or a pin... We were a young family then and what a wonderful way to see Germany.
I just love all your brooches! To see them all together like that is amazing! I have to say i'm partial to the leaves....but they are all wonderful. The colors! You have a gift my friend! Hugs! deb

Jeanette, Mistress of Longears said...

A glorious collection of work and the most delightful walk! You reached the Trifecta with your iris!

WinnibriggsHouse said...

What a huge collection of brooches, you have been working hard. That walk looks stunning too. We have just returned from a weekend near Allensford and saw all the yellow bikes everywhere. We also did a pretty tough walk up Steel rig! Not as long as yours but a good workout.

Maggi said...

A lovely post. Thank you for sharing that walk with us, it is beautiful. I really like the brooches with the daisies in and that Iris is magnificent.

StaroftheEast said...

The colors of the iris are very much like the colors of your felt flowers, wonderful!

Heather said...

That's a stunning iris - I am very envious as I can't get them to stay in my garden.
Lovely images of your walk - what a beautiful part of the country.
Your brooches make a gorgeous installation and although they might look similar to one another, each one is unique.

Irene Donovan said...

really enjoyed all your lovely photos

Plum Cox said...

I can't decide whether I like your brooches best or the idea of your wonderful looking walk. The hills, farms and streams all look stunning!

Thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

You really got on a roll with your brooches, didn't you! well done!

Virginia said...

What a lot of gorgeous brooches Jackie, I'll bet they will be snapped up! And congratulations on the 7 mile walk - that's quite a hike! I'd need a fair few stops for cool drinks. I'll bet the dogs were in heaven.

Terri said...

Happy Midsummer to you! Love your picnic area. Your makings are lovely! I always enjoy your blog.
Hugs

sharon young said...

What a beautiful post...... I lovely your collection of brooches and the walk was a real treat, the yellow bikes were brilliant, and as for the iris, it's awesome, thank you so much for sharing all this with us.

Susan E. J. White said...

I agree with all...what a beautiful post. Does the iris have a name? It all makes me want to dig up the passport and travel across the pond. Lovely brooches. I'm so pleased to own one!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a wonderful lot of pictures to look at! I would have loved to have gone on that walk with you (although I'm pretty sure my tongue would have been hanging out before I got even half way!).

FeltersJourney said...

Beautiful brooches!
Love the photos from your walk, so beautiful.. it looks like you found a perfect spot for picnicking. Bet the dogs had a wonderful time in the stream :)
Your iris is glorious..
xx

Linda Vincent said...

Well what an adventure you had Jackie...I am very impressed by the distance you covered! The photos are so lovely, especially that bridge and the little waterfall.
(Trying hard not to snigger at the name of the village though ;-)
As for the brooches....all I can say is, WOW! (You can sing the rest.... :-)

Kat said...

Jackie,thank you so much for the beautiful pictures. I enjoy a glimpse of your life in lovely England. My daughter lived in Stratford Upon Avon ten years ago, and we visited several times. It was always as much fun to see the country, as it was to see our kids.



Mo
st of my pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Dear Anonymous.....

....don't waste your time...I have a spam filter.